I miss Nintendo...

N64 Console related stuff

Moderator: loek555

Kerr Avon
Full User

I miss Nintendo...

Post by Kerr Avon » Monday, 04 Oct 2004, 0:08

My N64 is still disconnected, but I managed to set up my XBox, and whilst I've had fun with Burnout 2, GTA 3 and so on, being without my N64 for the past week or so has made me realise how Nintendo seems to differ from most other games companies.

See, with Nintendo games (at least the ones I liked) you get something that doesn't seem to be included in many other companies games; fun. I don't just mean the Mario platformers and such, but I personally loathe golf, tennis and fighting games, and yet I love Mario Golf, Mario Tennis and Super Smash Brothers. I don't know how close MG and MT are to the sport they represent, but they are enormous fun. And I know many people don't class SSB as a fighting game, and maybe it's not, but if it is then it's the only fighting game I like. And look at Mario Kart. What a ridiculous idea - a handfull of cartoon characters racing in go karts, and yet both Super Mario Kart and MK64 are both brilliant, although I do think that Diddy Kong Racing is better than MK64 (as do 50% of N64 owners, aparentyl...).

My point is, there are very few games on the XBox that are just pick up and play (and I don't mean in the "fun for a bit but soon gets boring" arcade game style way, as SBB, M64 and so on are still being played by me and many others even today). Too many XBox games seem to be meant as epic games, which lack the addictive feel of Mario and Co. Not that I'm a Mario fan, you understand; I feel no great liking for him or the other Nintendo characters as characters, as they are pretty one dimensional representations (in fact, outside of RPG's and adventure games, I think only Conker (of Conker's BFD) has any real "character". But the Mario games themselves often tend to be really enjoyable, and keep you coming back even when you've played the game all over, and seen everything there is to see.

Don't get me wrong, the XBox has some great games, such as GTA3/VC, Timesplitters 2, Simpsons Hit and Run, Burnout 2 & 3, Spider-Man 2, XIII and so on, but both of my two favourite genres (first person shooter and platfrom games) are represented better on the ol' N64. Yes, Halo is great, but there are far better (Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Timesplitters 2 etc), and to my mind the best two FPS games ever are GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. And I've yet to see a non-N64 platform game better Mario 64 (though Banjo Kazooie on the N64 is better, to my eyes).

I did have high hopes for Rare, when they jumped ship to the XBox, but Grabbed by the Ghoulies was not up to their previous standards (it was very nice graphically, but nothing special playability wise). Conker: Live and Reloaded looks awesome, but it's still not know when they'll release it. And the rumoured follow up to Perfect Dark was last rumoured to be coming out as a launch title for the XBox 2 :cry:

Incidentally, the reason I bought an XBox was so that I could run emulators (at the time neither the XBox, the PS2 or the GameCube had any games I really wanted) and for that it is excellent. My XBox runs games for the SNes, Nes, Atari ST, Megadrive, ZX Spectrum, C64 and many others almost perfectly. I can play .mpg/.mpeg, .jpg/.mp3/.wma and DVDs (region free)! It's a fantastic machine. The trouble is, many of the XBox games aren't so great playability-wise (though grahically, wow!, but graphics mean nothing without a game underneath). Fair enough, I haven't seen too many XBox games (I do badly paid agency work, spit spit), but it does seem that the XBox is going the way of the PC (the same few genres endlessly recycled). It'd be great to see more originality, or some old original games updated (imagine Body Harvest updated, and using the GTA3 engine! Wow!). There are some hopefully first class games coming up, such as Conker: L&R, Half Life 2, Far Cry and so on, but I do wish the Nintendo classics had been ported to the XBox...

By the way, one great feature of the XBox is it's ability to store CD ripped songs on it's hard disc, to be played in your favourite games :D Trouble is, many games don't support it, and of the few that do, most seem to do so half heartedly :cry: A real pity, as this should be standard in all XBox games, if you ask me.

Well anyway, that's what I think, after more than a week without Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Mario Tennis, Tetrisphere and the Duke Nuke'm 64 and Duke Nuke'm: Zero Hour. The XBox is great, but give me my N64 over it anytime.

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Monday, 04 Oct 2004, 0:47

Cheers to you, Kerr Avon *clap, clap* :D :) :wink: :!: :!:
I coulden't have put it better myself ...... *wipes away tears of joy*

kai666

Kerr Avon
Full User

Post by Kerr Avon » Sunday, 10 Oct 2004, 23:57

kai666 wrote:Cheers to you, Kerr Avon *clap, clap* :D :) :wink: :!: :!:
I coulden't have put it better myself ...... *wipes away tears of joy*

kai666
For some reason, the above post reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons, where Millhouse is talking noisily, and the bully, Nelson Munz, punches him in the stomach, causing Millhouse to fall silent, to which Homer says "God bless you, Nelson Munz"!

Offhand, I think my favourite Simpsons quote is Homer's wise "Trying is the first step towards failure" :wink:

Anyway, if you're interested in my XBox-related ramblings, then I'll mention another thing that really irritates me about the XBox; the fact that so many games are PC ports. See, as you know the XBox is 90% a PC, and so relatively easy to port PC games to, which is a real advantage considering how many PC games are great (although the PC itself is hardly an ideal games machine, what with the boot up time, operating system incompatabilities and crashes, the cost of costantly upgrading and so on), so you'd think that the XBox, being basically a PC that fixes most of the PC's weaknesses would be great for PC games, wouldn't you?

I mean, it has next to no boot up time, no multitasking operating system to steal your resources, a fixed hardware specification (unlike the PC, where every PC is different, and you never know how well/badly a game will run) and so on. Brilliant. Execpt that most of the best PC games haven't been ported. Where is Half Life? The Quake trilogy (I don't much like Q1 and 2, but they are massively popular, and XBox versions would sell like the proverbial hot cakes), Alien vs. Predator 1 and 2? And any number of other really popular games. Instead we get Unreal 2, which wasn't much cop on the PC to begin with. And the games that are being ported can sometimes take ages. Take Operation Flashpoint, which came out for the PC in 2001. The XBox version has now been set back to Spring 2005. And we have no solid idea of when Far Cry, Doom 3 or Half life 2 (to name just three) will appear on the XBox.

And then there is the "let's dumb the game down" situation; two of my favourite PC games are Unreal Tournament (1, after that I bought Perfect Dark and so never really played UT 2003 and UT 2004) and Deus Ex. And when they came out on the XBox (admittedly as different, "updated" (yeah, right) games, follow ups rather than the same game ported) they were massively dissapointing. Unreal Championship (UT for the XBox) looked awesome, but lacked much of the PC originals gameplay and options, and Deus Ex 2, well... They managed to lose most of what made the game great - put it this way, if Deus Ex (PC) is the brilliant Carry on Cleo (my second favourite film ever), then Deus Ex 2 (XBox) is Carry on Columbus.

There are some great ports on the XBox (GTA 3/Vice City, Mafia etc), but they are few and far between. And as I said in my first post, the XBox seems to be lacking in those "pick up and play" games, that Nintendo do so well. Which is part of the reason why I still use my N64, and in fact much prefer it to the XBox and PC.

Also, originality in the XBox games industry seems to be almost non-existent, just like in the PC industry. I don't know what the situation is with the GameCube/Playstation 2/Game Boy Advance etc, but I hope there's more thought, originality and basic gameplay being produced there than we're seeing on the XBox.

Right, I'll get off my soap box now :wink:

Kerr Avon
Full User

Post by Kerr Avon » Wednesday, 13 Oct 2004, 18:35

skedar99 wrote:why not just chip your xbox ill give you surreal 64 then you can play all your old classics *cough Goldeneye Cough* let me know if you want!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have my XBox chipped, and sadly the N64 emulators I have tried (the three in Surreal64), whilst very impressive, are still not perfect; many games don't run at all, or are badly glitched. When the emulator reaches the state of the SNES/NES emulators, then I'll probably put my N64 away in storage (won't sell it) and use the XBox for my N64 games, as then it should have advantages over the real N64 emulator (all memory saves saved on hard disc, as virtual cartridges, which means no more messing about with memory paks; plays PAL and NTSC versions perfectly; adds Gameshark ability but without the limits and instability of real Gamesharks, and so on). That will be brilliant. Until then, however, I'll have to stick with my ol' faithful N64, which has never let me down yet.

It's brilliant playing SNES/NES/MAME/ZX Spectrum games on the XBox though, and when N64 emulation becomes first rate then the XBox'll have another reason for existing!

And hopefully the N64 emulator will allow multiplayer games over the 'net, as some other emulators do now. Just think, multiplayer Goldeneye with three other people in different countries... :wink:

fishonthecarpet

Post by fishonthecarpet » Friday, 15 Oct 2004, 10:17

So correct Kerr, so correct. N64 games have that special feeling to them. Years ago, me and my mates used to have N64 nights where we'd sit down and smack each other up in Smash Brothers, blow each other up in Perfect Dark... etc. The last couple of years though, we stopped. We tried to go next-gen with GCN and PS2 and stuff, but it doesn't have the same effect. GCN is ok though, Melee's pretty good but somehow just isn't as fun.
Anyhow, recently we've moved the N64 back in, and we're having more fun then ever. I love you, N64!

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Friday, 15 Oct 2004, 10:29

fishonthecarpet wrote:So correct Kerr, so correct. N64 games have that special feeling to them. Years ago, me and my mates used to have N64 nights where we'd sit down and smack each other up in Smash Brothers, blow each other up in Perfect Dark... etc. The last couple of years though, we stopped. We tried to go next-gen with GCN and PS2 and stuff, but it doesn't have the same effect. GCN is ok though, Melee's pretty good but somehow just isn't as fun.
Anyhow, recently we've moved the N64 back in, and we're having more fun then ever. I love you, N64!
WOOHOO... many ppl must feel like you and your mates since my, more or less, retro site can maintain this amount of visitors. So thanx to you all, who keeps visiting my site, maybe even has made it theire START PAGE..

BTW: I have the same feeling with Mario Kart 64 vs. Mario Kart: DD...
Mario Kart 64 was, an is still, MUCH more fun :) :D than Mario Kart: DD
hmmm.... does the DD stand for "Double Dull" LOL

kai666

loek555

Meeting???

Post by loek555 » Friday, 15 Oct 2004, 16:03

Guys...you mean a meeting as in seeing each other in person?
OR
Chat base..on the net?
I would like to meet you guys in person...but not in my current situation...I'll wait until I've got hard cash!
:lol: 8) :lol:
Loek555 AKA Blazin_tical2
TECHNOLOGY is the only Progress I know about Modern Civilisation.And I'm addicted to Modern Technology!
Nintendo RULES!!!!!
Arigato Shigeru Miyamoto San!

gareth
Full User

Post by gareth » Monday, 24 Jan 2005, 16:27

Hay I Miss My N64 Too ! good old Duke Nuke'm 64 dam!! i love that game 8)

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Monday, 24 Jan 2005, 17:42

gareth wrote:Hay I Miss My N64 Too ! good old Duke Nuke'm 64 dam!! i love that game 8)
I still have my good, old N64 and I'll never EVER sell it 8)
Last edited by kai666 on Thursday, 02 Mar 2006, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

gareth
Full User

Post by gareth » Saturday, 29 Jan 2005, 1:25

so will i, i will never sell my N64 i love the games i got for that, and still i think Virtual Pool 64 is the number one game on the N64! 8) :D :twisted:

skedar99

Post by skedar99 » Tuesday, 01 Mar 2005, 16:27

i agree about the N64. but Perfect Dark is the best N64 game of all time :D then Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Tuesday, 01 Mar 2005, 16:29

The ultimate 3 best games for our b-loved N64 are as follows:

Shadow Man
GoldenEye
Mario Kart 64

Retroboy

Post by Retroboy » Thursday, 10 Mar 2005, 13:22

kai666 wrote:The ultimate 3 best games for our b-loved N64 are as follows:

Shadow Man
GoldenEye
Mario Kart 64
Id agree but i love all my N64 games.

the only thing i dont like is that ive got to get a new controller, any one know a 3rd party company who makes N64 pads where the anologue doesnt whear out.

Skeddar

Im getting my Xbox chiped soon, I didnt know you could play N64 games on your xbox, what do you do simply find and download a rom and burn it to a cd then put it in your xbox.

Ive got over 100 N64 roms that work on my PC but theyres certain games I cant find the rom for.

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Thursday, 10 Mar 2005, 13:30

How many original N64 games do you actually have ?

loek555

Post by loek555 » Thursday, 10 Mar 2005, 19:47

I just LOVE All Of MY games ....PERIODE!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Loek555 AKA Blazin_tical2
TECHNOLOGY is the only Progress I know about Modern Civilisation.And I'm addicted to Modern Technology!
Nintendo RULES!!!!!
Arigato Shigeru Miyamoto San!