Xplorer Problems

N64 Console related stuff

Moderator: loek555

Burb
Full User

Xplorer Problems

Post by Burb » Monday, 03 Aug 2009, 12:35

I hope I can get an answer here, even if this is not a very active place anymore.

I already have my Xplorer 64 running software version 1.067E (Build 2510, Nov 23 1999)
But I know you can add cheats with the rom file when flashing, which is what I want to do.

See, I want to play around with level modding on Perfect Dark and the codes can be REALLY long.
Even just copy/pasting the codes I wanted into a text-file took me two hours last night.

So no, I am not going to write them by hand.
And with that many codes.. What if you type one code wrong.
Much more safe to copy-paste and faster to write on your computer. 8)

So, I downloaded the software from here. (I was expecting broken links, but they still existed)
Unpacked to C:\xploder.N64\
Went into notepad and edited cheats.txt in codes\ folder, and after that was done I ran cheatmgr.bat to add my cheats to the rom file.

Now I start up my N64 with the parallell cable plugged in between my computer and xplorer.
I run the upgrade.bat, and it doesn't really do anything.

It just shows me some warning text and then there's an animated thing ( - \ | / ) spinning around forever.
I waited 5 minutes and it still wasn't done. I left it on over night and when I woke up today it was still at the same point. So I closed the upgrader and turned my Nintendo 64 off.
Turned it on again just to see if everything still worked. It did and I still had my old cheats left.

This makes me believe that the program can not find my xplorer. Because just now I tried to do the same thing but without the cable being plugged in, and it gives me the same problem. (spinning thing for eternity)
So it looks like there's no "connection" between my computer and the Nintendo..
In my computer BIOS setup there are a couple of changes tou can make. I left it at 378-37F (IRQ7) or something like that.
You could also choose between Standard, Enhanced or Extended mode. I chose Standard since that was the default. But I also tried the other two and it was the same thing.

Also tried the whole thing on my older computer (the one I had 4 years ago when I originally flashed the Xplorer 64) and same problem there.
Any ideas what's going on? The cable should be working (it even lights up the xplorer light even if the Nintendo is not turned on)

Thanks.
Last edited by Burb on Sunday, 16 Aug 2009, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
//Burbruee

Burb
Full User

Re: Problems "upgrading"

Post by Burb » Monday, 03 Aug 2009, 18:42

Oh, I got it working just now actually..
I used the "X-Killer" program in the package, not the normal upgrader.
So I have transferred codes from PC to the real thing now. Great.

Unfortunately, whenever I boot the game (Perfect Dark) with codes on I get a black screen, every time.
It could be that either my a) N64 is going bad or b) my 3rd party expansion pak which I have suspected for some time or c) the xplorer64 or maybe even d) something else

I started playing Perfect Dark and some other Nintendo 64 games a couple of weeks ago, late last week I started using my Xplorer64, which eventually led me back here.
The instructions for Perfect Dark are a bit special yes, I know that. And you need to follow them carefully to get the game up and running. But then you usually end up with "Expansion Pak NOT Detected"
I don't get that far even, just a black screen after I leave the XP-64 menu.

But when I tried it yesterday, I got it working 100 % on the first try. (activate in-game trainer, restart to xplorer64 menu and activating cheats and start the game again)
I played for two hours, and then when I wanted to try some other codes I couldn't boot the game at all for some reason. Black screen.

Same problem as I have now, a black screen when I select codes.
I have tried to select only one code, which I'm sure works since that's the (only) one I had activated when it DID work yesterday.
Still a black screen. And the (M) code is also correct.

So it worked one time yesterday and then the game refuses to even boot unless you boot with in-game trainer or without the XP-64. (in which case you can't use any codes)
//Burbruee

Burb
Full User

Post by Burb » Sunday, 16 Aug 2009, 19:06

Disregard my previous two posts, just read this post.

I asked a friend to come over with his Nintendo Expansion Pak, just so I could check if that was the problem.
It was not, I still could not boot Perfect Dark.

I have tried codes for Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Zelda OoT, Zelda Majoras Mask and they all work 100 %.
Perfect Dark produces a black screen, doens't even show the screen if expansion pak was detected or not.
I use your (M) code from this site, and correct boot mode (4).

I have no doubt that your codes work, I know they do. I have used them many many times before.
But now I can no longer boot Perfect Dark with the Xplorer, I get to the xplorer menu and can select cheats etc, but starting the game from there gives a black screen unless you start with no codes active.

Starting the game with no cheat device present works every time. Also starting the game with cheat device present and in-game trainer active works as well.

This is why I'm so confused. Since PD works with no xplorer, works with xplorer but no cheats or in-game trainer activated. Works with all other games that I have with cheats but not perfect dark with cheats activated.

Codes are correct, I have checked many times, ever copy-pasted directly from your site and flashed with parallell cable, black screen.
I only have one code active and the (M) code which activates itself when you select another code. Even tried deleting every other code from the xplorer except the ones I'm going to use. But again it's a black screen.

The codes used to work and then suddenly one day all I get is a black screen ...

So the question is.. Is my N64 faulty, or my Perfect Dark, or my X-Plorer 64.
Like I said before, the X-Plorer works with all other games except this one, and the game itself works without the Xplorer but not with it.
//Burbruee

kai666
Administrator
Administrator

Post by kai666 » Friday, 14 Jan 2011, 1:18

Burb wrote:Disregard my previous two posts, just read this post.

I asked a friend to come over with his Nintendo Expansion Pak, just so I could check if that was the problem.
It was not, I still could not boot Perfect Dark.

I have tried codes for Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Zelda OoT, Zelda Majoras Mask and they all work 100 %.
Perfect Dark produces a black screen, doens't even show the screen if the expansion pak was detected or not.
I use your (M) code from this site, and correct boot mode (4).

I have no doubt that your codes work, I know they do. I have used them many many times before.
But now I can no longer boot Perfect Dark with the Xplorer 64, I get to the Xplorer 64 menu and can select cheats etc, but starting the game from there gives a black screen unless you start with no codes active.

Starting the game with no cheat device present works every time. Also starting the game with cheat device present and in-game trainer active works as well.

This is why I'm so confused. Since PD works with no X-Plorer 64, works with Xpllorer 64 but no cheats or in-game trainer activated. Works with all other games that I have with cheats but not perfect dark with cheats activated.

Codes are correct, I have checked many times, ever copy-pasted directly from your site and flashed with parallell cable, black screen.
I only have one code active and the (M) code which activates itself when you select another code. Even tried deleting every other code from the X-Plorer 64 except the ones I'm going to use. But again it's a black screen.

The codes used to work and then suddenly one day all I get is a black screen ...

So the question is.. Is my N64 faulty, or my Perfect Dark, or my Xplorer 64.
Like I said before, the Xplorer 64 works with all other games except this one, and the game itself works without the X-Plorer 64 but not with it.
I can't say exactly what the problem is, but:

Do remember that when the LED is on (Red light flashing), that is Boot Mode 1,
so in order to change to Boot Mode 4, you'll only need to press the button 3 times on the Xplorer 64.

Link to the codes and further instructions for Perfect Dark: http://www.kai666.com/games/perfect_dark.htm

PS: A link to the Xplorer 64, Instruction Manual: http://www.kai666.com/x-plorer64_manual.htm